Property Damage Claims In North Miami
If you’ve lived in Florida, you know that floods, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are common, unfortunately too common. Luckily, there are homeowner’s insurance options responsible for paying valid claims which resulted in damage to your home for reasons including natural disasters. At Florida Legal, we understand how traumatizing these events can be. That’s why our mission is to do whatever it takes to make sure that your property damage claim is paid so that you receive the necessary funds to repair your home and move on with your life. Our North Miami Beach property damage attorney has years of experience representing these types of claims and will go to bat for you against insurance companies who either deny coverage or fail to pay the fair value of claims. Call us today for a free case evaluation and advice on how to proceed with your claim.
Florida Property Owner Rights
Any insurance policy in Florida places obligations on the property owner when property loss claims are made. Although these property damage obligations vary among different insurance policies, some of the most common requirements include the following:
- A property owner must provide notice of the loss to the carrier promptly or within a specific period of time. The policy often will provide a specific deadline. Failure to satisfy this deadline can create challenges later on and may result in a denied claim. It’s critical to work with a North Miami property damage lawyer as soon as possible following the incident to ensure your claim is heard and taken seriously.
- A property owner must take reasonable steps to protect property from additional damage. However, there is usually great discretion in interpreting what “reasonable steps” are for the maintenance of the property. A North Miami property damage attorney can help to explain what these steps include and how to best proceed.
- After initiating a property damage claim, the property owner must submit a proof of loss statement. These statements are signed under penalty of perjury and involve the itemization of damages. This will document all that you have lost and hold insurance accountable for those items.
- It’s natural to be confused about this process, especially after a traumatic event. Luckily, our Miami property damage attorney can help you navigate these nuanced aspects of insurance law. Call Florida Legal today for a free consultation.
Types of Florida Property Damage
There are many different types of property damage that commonly occur in the state of Florida that might lead you to file a property damage claim. Some examples of the most common types of loss you might experience in North Miami Beach include property damage from:
- Wind or tornados
- Fire and smoke
- Car accidents
- Vandalism or rioting
- Business interruption
- Bad faith insurance practices
Reasons Your Miami Property Damage Claim Might Be Denied
If your insurance company denies your property damage claim, it doesn’t always mean that they are acting in bad faith. However, most insurance companies will use whatever justification they can find to avoid the large payouts often associated with property damage claims. Some of the more common reasons your property damage claim might be denied include the following
- Failure to pay your premiums. Even if you regularly pay your premiums, a short lapse of a week or less can result in claim denial. It can be something as simple as an expired debit or credit card, or a bank returning an automatic payment for lack of funds. This can cause a lapse in coverage and give your insurance company justification for denying your property damage claim.
- Filing your claim late. Your contract has specific requirements related to notifying your carrier of damage and when to file a claim. Hiring a Miami property damage lawyer to help you navigate through the claims process can ensure you meet all required deadlines in your policy.
- Exclusion of coverage. Insurance companies are notorious for denying property damage claims made under homeowners’ insurance policies. Some common situations specific to Miami residents include flood damage, water damage, and hurricane or storm damage.
- Inadequate proof of damage. When you file a property damage claim, you must provide your insurer with proof of loss. This often includes a complete inventory of items that suffered damage. If your carrier feels you did meet their proof of loss requirements, they will deny your claim, at least partially.
- False claims. If your insurance carrier believes you have filed a questionable claim, they have the legal right to deny the claim based on non-disclosure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Need A Property Damage Lawyer To Resolve My Claim?
Disputing an insurance claim can be a tricky process and leaves most people confused on how to best proceed. Due to the financial implications insurance carriers have in these types of cases, they will often do whatever they can to preserve their liability, and pay you the minimal amount for your losses. Insurance adjusters will often use misleading language or manipulate your situation to allege that your dispute is illegitimate, even if your claim is valid. That’s why it’s so important to work with an experienced North Miami property damage lawyer who can investigate your case to determine whether your insurance carrier has acted in bad faith and what their legal obligations are to you as you seek a fair settlement for your property losses.
What Types of Personal Property Are Covered By Insurance in Florida?
You can purchase insurance to protect against the risk of damage to nearly any type of property. For example, you may have insurance coverage to compensate for damage to your:
- Commercial real estate
- Cars, motorcycles, and trucks
- Business inventory
Contact A North Miami Property Damage Attorney Today
After paying into an insurance premium, it’s crucial to remember that you have the right to the maximum compensation that your policy allows after filing a property damage claim. If an insurance carrier denies your claim or refuses to pay what you deserve, it’s recommended that you speak with a North Miami property damage attorney right away. At Florida Legal, we have helped countless Floridians recover what they are owed after an unforeseen event. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation and to begin planning your property damage claim.